Friday, November 10, 2006

Dream Leftovers on a Friday Morning
By Don Iannone

Scads of uncouth dreams last night,
that lurked, sputtered, darted, and danced
like ghosts, one-engined airplanes, gazelles, and sugar plums
through my tired old sleeping head.
Coffee cup in hand this morning, I sit like the Pink Panther,
searching for clues in fog-heaven.
Time, the joyless and stealthful vulture it is,
steals away the big pieces, leaving only fragments
of what the giant dream machine produced,
while resting on my fluffy white pillow.
As the tug of daylight yanks me into consciousness,
all the freak shows I watched while sleeping
are lost forever in the daydreams bubbling up inside me.
My day mind wants to yield to its ususual yearning for truth,
like a thirsty dog's insatiable longing for a drop of water,
but somehow dream bits,
like shrapnel from the battlefield,
embed themselves, and I can't forget them.
As I gulp down the last of my coffee, I smile
and decide today can only be a continuation of my dreams.
What else could be possible on a Friday?

9 comments:

trinitystar said...

Which is the dream Don?

The dream that its Friday and you can enjoy your weekend ... then you can go back to the dream of Monday to Friday. :o)
hugs for you.

ufukhati said...

Friday is a special day. Muslims gather at the mosque to pray at noon. This is very beatiful.

Good luck to you, don.
--from darma--

Dan said...

Muy excellente!

Pat Paulk said...

Fridays should be off anyway!!

Kathleen said...

Great one Don... I love the way you share yourself!

Have a truly wonderful Friday! :)

Margie said...

I like this poem very much Don!
Very nice!
Have a great Friday!

Margie

Don Iannone, D.Div., Ph.D. said...

Thank you Margie, Pat, Dan. Ukufhati, Kathleen, Trinitystar, Bill Clinton, Don Rumsfeld, and Pinky Lee for your very nice comments. It's Friday; dream on!

polona said...

well, i'm not bill clinton, donald rumsfeld or pinky lee but i love your poem.
it was one hell of a friday :)

Don Iannone, D.Div., Ph.D. said...

Thanks Polona...just be you!

Friends' Blogs