Thursday, May 25, 2006

A Gathering of Old Trees
By Don Iannone

Old trees gather in the woods.
At first, I think in horror
that it is a nursing home for dead wood,

a place where the trees come to die.
Then, I see the gathering
as a roadside rest area,
where the trees catch their breath
as they make their long journey
back to the earth they never left.

Their roots anchor and steady them
so they grow outward and upward
throughout their lives.
Their many branches balance them
like out-stretched arms in the wind.
Now gnarled and barren,

the branches speak volumes
about the trees' many lives.
So much karma, I think.

Each branch is a miraculous
adventure in search of light.
While each tiny twig has
followed a different path,
all eventually point upward.
Each knows exactly what
it must do to survive.
I wonder if the trees miss their leaves,
like old men miss their hair.
I smile as I imagine the trees with toupees.

It occurs to me that each old tree is a planet

in the larger forest galaxy.
Suddenly I see the forest for the trees.
While more fragile now,
the old trees are quite stately.
There is a weathered handsomeness
about the old trees.
Most have aged gracefully,
like refined old women
whose eyes still sparkle

at the sight of handsome young men.

I hear playful laughter in the distance.
It is the younger trees,

who joyously reach out
and pluck ripe sundrops from the sky.
Their laughter reminds the old trees
that their lives were, after all, worthwhile.
They know there will be a tomorrow.

Old trees are very wise, you know.
So much they have learned
through the many seasons of their lives.
Their bark, branches and roots
are vast libraries preserving their wisdom,
which the wind passes on through the trees' seeds
to future generations.

For now, the young trees across the way
are too busy growing to see
the wisdom filling their limbs.
That's ok, for someday they will
join the gathering of old trees.
Then they will have plenty of time
to reflect upon their lives.

The old trees teach me to stand tall,
branch out to find the sunshine in my life,
use my roots to grow from, and do the best
I can from my place in life everyday.
I am thankful for the gathering of old trees.

Someday I hope to join them.

7 comments:

Darius said...

You eloquently touch here on many things that make trees such powerful - I want to say, witnesses to life.

Don Iannone, D.Div., Ph.D. said...

Thank you for saying that Darius.

Don

Jim said...

Amen, said an old tree gathering at the edge, how beautiful are the young.

Don Iannone, D.Div., Ph.D. said...

Kathy,

Yes, the trees witness us, and imagine this...as part of their world.

I was inspired to write this poem some time again after visiting the Menominee forest in Wisconsin where the Menominee Indians live. Very deep, dense, and dark forest surrounds them. 10,000+ years old.

Don Iannone, D.Div., Ph.D. said...

Jim,

Yes indeed, and how silly those old trees look wearing their toupees...

CE said...

Old trees are very wise, you know. Someday I hope to join them.

Don Iannone, D.Div., Ph.D. said...

Thanks for stopping by Vivien. Glad we know about each other's poetry.

I am indeed an old soul in many ways. and also a young soul in some ways.

Trees are very powerful in our world. So important to us.

Friends' Blogs