Sunday, March 21, 2004

----------------------------------------------------------------

Writing Matters--Or-- Some Talk
By Larry Smith

"We should write what matters, what clarifies and reveals, what gives us insight into the world, ourselves, and others. We're here to name and witness and to spread a little joy. We'll be remembered for the good that we do. Those who are writing for fame and riches will be lucky to get noticed, and their life will become as shallow as their writing. I think the audience matters, and I resent anyone trying to talk above or beneath another. As Thoreau said, we each have to give a true account of our lives.

As to style, I'm open to many, but seek a simple clarity in my own, a tightness and rightness that cannot be explained but must be practiced. We learn by writing mostly, and by reading of course, putting the good sounds and rhythms of thought into our mind's ear. There are so many wonderful models to learn from. There should be a primal joy in the expression and a pleasure of understanding in the reading.

I often write to see what I have to say, to let go in order to discover. But there is discipline there tool "We learn by going where we have to go," says Theodore Roethke, and I agree. But there are skills to use and patterns not to abuse lightly. There must be work as well as release. There's a lot more to it, but we each have to discover our way. Writing has been one of the labors and pleasures of my life."

No comments:

Friends' Blogs