Tuesday, March 23, 2004

-----------------------------------------------

Philadelphia's Shane Candies

Yesterday in my cab ride back
to the Philly Airport, we drove
past Shane Candies, located
in the Old City Center.

Shane's has been there since
1876. It is a third generation
candy store. The store's interior
and display windows remain
untouched. The candies are
made on the second floor.

Beautiful Easter candy was
displayed in the store's charming
front windows. I saw several
chocolate bunnies, colorful
baskets and bows, and several
pastel-colored Easter eggs.

What's so great about a
130-year old candy store? I
thought as I drove by: "How
could something so old make
me feel so young?" Memories
and feelings flooded me from
places I don't even know. It
was a real treat. I thought:
"This is why cities really
matter."


Click here to see a picture.

-----------------------------------------------

No comments:

Friends' Blogs