Thursday, August 21, 2003

Disposability

George Nemeth wrote me earlier this week and used the term "disposable" to describe how people at times treat one another. I agree with George. People are not to be used and discarded. Instead of honoring people when they grow older, there is a tendency in our society to discard them and treat them as less worthwhile.

As a child growing up, I learned a great deal from my grandmothers. Both were loving, engaging and wise. They allowed me to stand upon their shoulders and see the world. Because both of my grandfathers had died when I was very young, I had much less of an opportunity to get to know them.

Young and older people have much to offer each other. Each offers the other a mirror for learning and contributing to family, work and community.

No comments:

Friends' Blogs