Monday, April 02, 2007

Monday Morning
By Don Iannone
M
onday morning darkness fades
as shimmering sunlight fills the front window.
C
heerful bird voices punctuate the sunrise
taking its time deciding what color dress to wear.
T
he three cats do their morning yoga
while I wait with puffed eyes and unruly hair
for fragant last drops of coffee to fill the awaiting pot.
T
houghts of writing a poem drift hopelessly through my consciousness--
knowing even a feeble poem requires a half cup of morning brew.
The day has started and so have I.

9 comments:

Pat Paulk said...

Working on my second cup and no poem yet. What brand are you drinking?? Good one!!

david santos said...

Hello, Don!
What beautiful poem you have! thank you.
have a good week

Unknown said...

I'm always amazed as how easy it is for Don to right his poems. Or at least, that's how I think it must be. Nevertheless, I suppose that a tremedous amount of study and reading about poetry beforehand will have helped the poetic journey tremendously before arriving at such a professional skilled work of art.

It's always a nice place to return to when you want to warm-up your heart again after a cold winter whether caused by nature or due to other human beings behavior.

Thank you Don!

Paul said...

It's a great life - I know that routine!

Don Iannone, D.Div., Ph.D. said...

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm awake. Pat, it's hazelnut coffee. Our favorite. Bernadette, I force myself to write a poem everyday. It's a part my daily routine. Some days I barely get one out.

QUASAR9 said...

The morning brew
the day has started
and the poem too

Borut said...

The three cats do their morning yoga. What a memorable way to start a new week with!:)

floots said...

so right
(though it's hard for me at present as my doc has told me to cut back on coffee - de-caff doesn't cut it) :(

polona said...

there's no life before coffee :)
delightful poem!

Friends' Blogs