Monday, July 14, 2003

"Voluntary simplicity...

involves both inner and outer condition. It means singleness of purpose, sincerity and honesty within, as well as avoidance of exterior clutter, of many possessions irrelevant to the chief purpose of life. It means an ordering and guiding of our energy and our desires, a partial restraint in some other directions in order to secure greater abundance of life in other directions. It involves a deliberate organization of life for a purpose. Of course, as different people have different purposes in life, what is relevant to the purpose of one person might not be relevant to the purpose of another...The degree of simplification is a matter for each individual to settle himself."

Source: Voluntary Simplicity, by Duane Elgin.

Does this ring true for you? I know it does for me. Sometimes I feel like I just have too much stuff to care for, manage and otherwise pay attention to. I have been giving some thought to a daily approach that I could follow to simplify my own life. Meditation is helping to unclutter my head, but I need to take additional steps. You will be hearing more about this.

How have you simplified your life recently? I'd like to hear your ideas.

No comments:

Friends' Blogs