Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Finding gratifying work...

If you're frustrated by your work, you're not alone. I am amazed at the number of people I meet in everyday life who simply are tired of doing what they do. It doesn't have to be that way, folks. We create our own reality, which says we can find what we seek in our work if we try.

Job-lock? Yes, it is a reality for many, but should you remain chained to a meaningless job that just earns you a living? That is a question every individual has to answer for him or herself. My attitude is "follow your passion" and create the work you love.

According to a brand new book, I Don't Know What I Want, But I Know It's Not This, by Julie Jansen, people struggle with six work dilemmas:

1. Where's the meaning?
2. Been there, done that, but still need to earn.
3. Bruised and gun-shy.
4. Bored and plateaued.
5. Yearning to be on your own.
6. One toe in the retirement pool.

Jansen offers a useful systematic process for helping us think our way through each of these dilemmas. It's a worthwhile read whether you are completely or only moderately frustrated by your worklife.

No comments:

Friends' Blogs