Wednesday, July 09, 2003

Restlessness on the rise...

Have you sensed a growing restlessness in your world these days?

Wanderlust and a sense of restlessness have been tugging at my heart for sometime. For me, these feelings are tied to where my spiritual path is taking me, and in part I need to be more patient with myself.

My conversations with others reflect they are also growing more restless about their lives, where their careers are headed, how their families are doing and whether the future that lies ahead is the future of their choice.

What is the source of our restless spirit? For many people I have talked with, they seek a new challenge that spurs their personal and professional growth. Some are fearful that the life they created for themselves is a far cry from the life they want. Others say they are simply bored and need a change. Others feel cheated by life, their employer, and their own expectations.

Expectations have a lot to do with our restlessness. In some cases, there are things we need to accept about ourselves and the world, which will resolve some of our restless feelings. In many ways, our restlessness is actually a good thing because it pushes out of our old boxes and forces us to explore new things.

World conditions have a conditioning effect on our psyche. Three years of elevated risk and uncertainty takes its toll on all of us. We shouldn't forget the obvious.

I think a lot of people are quietly asking themselves "what's our next move?" Where should we focus our energies? What will help us garner the greatest happiness and satisfaction in life?

Reading The Alchemist created some inner churn for me. I've just started The Traveler's Gift by Andy Andrews, and will be sharing some insights from it shortly.

I am reminded of a quote by Kahlil Gibran: "We choose our joys and sorrows long before we experience them." I wonder if anybody else is feeling this way these days...

No comments:

Friends' Blogs