Saturday, April 17, 2004

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday Thought: The Power of Words

The opening events of the James Wright Poetry Festival
took place last night in Martins Ferry. Anne Wright, James
wife, spellbounded the audience with her reading of exerpts
from several of Wright's letters to fellow poets, students, and
teachers. I was struck by the power of Annie's words and the
life she breathed into the power of her husband's earlier
written words. My wife Mary and I listened intently as Annie
told the stories of Wright's life in Martins Ferry, Minneapolis,
Seattle, Naples, and his favorite place on earth, Verona. It
was very powerful.

I was pleased to share, The Chemistry of Ferry in the Fifties,
with the group. It felt good to share my words and watch
the audience receive, mull, laugh, and think about my poem,
which was inspired by James Wright and also my hometown
Martins Ferry.

I am reminded in all this of the amazing power of both the
written and spoken word. How it delights, captivates,
conjoles, sparks, fills, and nourishes our hearts and minds.
Let us never forget the power of our words.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Friends' Blogs