Monday, April 19, 2004

-------------------------------------------------------------

My 1909 Danny Murphy
By Don Iannone

Danny Murphy,
He played baseball
a long time ago,
Way before my time!
I found his card--
a 1909 Tobacco Series,
in Flo's Antique Shop
in downtown St. Clairsville.
That's where I went to high school,
in case you didn't know.
I wasn't really looking
for baseball cards,
but there he was
in a dusty glass case.
I just had to buy him
and add him to my collection.
Danny played 16 seasons,
mostly with Philadelphia, you know,
A solid hitter by any standard,
he batted .290 lifetime with 1500 hits.
They didn't take steroids back then,
like some power players do today.
And they had to play during the daytime,
no lighted stadiums in those times.
I love those old ones,
you know, the Tobacco Series type cards,
Can you imagine? My Danny Murphy
is 95 years old!
That's a long time for
a piece of cardboard to last!
Don't ya think?

-------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Friends' Blogs