Friday, July 02, 2004

Friday Thought: Reality

Most of us try to live in "reality." Well,
sort of. History is chock full of debates
about the nature of reality. Several
generations of philosophers have burned
many midnight candles on the subject.

Reality is a topic of discussion in our
everyday lives. In my own work, I am
struck by the number of times boards of
directors, managers, the media, and other
groups get tangled up in arguments over the
nature of reality. How many times have I
heard the question: "What are the REAL
strengths of our community for economic
development?" And how many times have I
heard the statement: "Get real!"

I've concluded reality is not as easy as
it seems--to any of us. The following quote
by John Lennon helps to explain why:

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination."
--John Lennon

No comments:

Friends' Blogs