Wednesday, September 24, 2003

Appreciation

I posted this to Jack Ricchiuto's blog earlier this morning, but thought I'd capture it here for those who may also be working to increase their capacity to appreciate what they encounter in life.

I have been thinking a lot about "appreciation" and here is what I have concluded.

Appreciation is predicated on understanding and acceptance. We increase our ability to appreciate life when we understand its significance and meaning and when we resolve ourselves to accept life for what it is, despite what we want it to be.

It is far easier for us to accept (and appreciate) those things in life that align with our current values and understanding, and it is more difficult when we encounter things that challenge what we believe and know.

I pray most days that my own God of self-understanding will help me release what gives me angst in life, which usually includes my mundane worries about family, friends, career and money, my own spiritual evolution and many other things.

Also, genuine community evolves from a space where people are encouraged and rewarded for appreciating themselves and others.

So much of life is a blessing in disguise, even the bumps in the road and the tigers that have us for lunch on occasion.

All that to say, Namaste...

No comments:

Friends' Blogs