Sunday, June 29, 2003

Ybor City...

is the old cigar manufacturing district of Tampa, Florida. The area's historical buldings captivate the imagination. For an 'imaginarien' like myself, it does not take much for me to picture the district 100 years ago. The sweet smell of aged tobacco jumps out at you as you walk the sidewalks. A colorful mix of people share the sidewalk with you.

My wife Mary and I ate at an interesting and delicious restaurant called Bernini's, which serves the sweetest Grouper atop a mound of garlic mashed potatoes that I've tasted anywhere. My Chianti wine was divine. Just what we needed after a day of travel.

Yba City is worth a visit next time you're in Tampa. It helps us understand what life in the world of cigars was all about a century ago and what it's like today. Ybor City is a soulful place. I think it is very good that cities are building on their past as they build their futures. That is what the soul does for us.

No comments:

Friends' Blogs