Wednesday, June 18, 2003

Want to see something special?

My friend Richard Whisnant from UNC-Chapel Hill shared a wonderful website and short movie he made during a recent trip to Nepal. I share this with you, including an insightful poem from the website. Thanks Richard!

Washing Shadows
By Putli Sadak

Sometimes I feel like
Washing a shadow, washing all the shadows.

I pour water over them,
And I rub soap,
But I can neither scrub nor wring them.
Nor can I take them up in my hands.

I dump water over them.
I dump water over them with force,
But the shadow,
The shadows stay the same, just where they were.

I don't want to waste my time
Washing a shadow,
Washing shadows.
I don't want to waste my hope and energy.

That's why, that's exactly why I have set about
Leaving the surface slogans, the clichés,
Going to the depth of the meaning of words,
I want to wash the whole earth clean.

Yet shadows cannot be washed.
We can only keep them or remove them
Shake them,
Or let them be still.

Website address.
Link to Richard's video. Well worth five minutes of your time.

No comments:

Friends' Blogs