Friday, June 06, 2003

Is it possible...

to observe your own "I?" Now, that is a deep question! However, it's hardly a new question since it has been the subject of philosophical and psychological debate and research for many years. This is a central question in the evolving field of consciousness studies, which I stumbled into as I made my way through my own darkness.

In the event that you are not aware of his work, I would like to introduce you to Ken Wilber--one of the deepest thinking human beings out there. Ken Wilber is a well-known integral philosopher and psychologist, who has been at the center of the consciousness studies field for many years.

Wilber says that the logic in studying one's own consciousness--that is applying the well-known techniques of meditation and yoga to observe oneself on a deep level--is to eventually arrive at a point that is beyond all doubt. This is consciousness itself and, paradoxically enough, from this point of awareness one can observe the I, thus arriving at the source, the underlying principle of life itself.

Self-awareness is a good thing. If we do not understand ourselves, tragically we fail to understand all else in the world.

Ken Wilber's website.

No comments:

Friends' Blogs