Saturday, January 03, 2004

I'm averaging about 30 miles a week...

I'm talking about running. This is part of what some of my friends are calling the "new Don." Actually, it's not exactly the new me, but it is the new me in the last ten years at least. I'll admit it. I was a jock in high school in the 1960s and have had several athletic spells since then.

Consistency is what counts in most things in life. Ok, variety is important too. But consistency is important in trying to stay fit, especially when you cross the 50 mark in your life. So, I run about 30 miles a week. That's 4.0 to 4.5 miles per day. Some days it's painful, but most days I really look forward to it. I must say that my exercise routine is the best part of my day. I never thought I would be saying that, but it really feels good to get the blood pumping. It's also a "zen" thing, which many runners talk about. It feels great to get into a groove. By the way, music helps my running. Lively stuff that makes your feet tap. Some times I do this 'dance-run' thing. Probably looks crazy, but as my wife Mary says: "Oh well. too bad..."

What else am I doing to stay fit? I do weight training four times a week. No, I'm not striving for the Charles Atlas 2004 Award. Again, it's about consistency and pushing yourself just a little bit during every workout session. And yes, we play tennis when we can find time on winter evenings.

I'm lucky. Mary exercises daily as well. That really helps. We compare notes every day and encourage each other. I'm also fortunate because I live in Mayfield Village (Pop: 3,200) where Progressive Corporation is headquartered. The company allows Village residents, who pass their physical, to use their wonderful corporate fitness center, which is two minutes from our home.

Let me know if you would like to go for a run some time. Race ya. Remember that when we were kids?

Those of you encouraged by this article will find the American Running Association to be very informative. Go here to learn more.

No comments:

Friends' Blogs