Tuesday, May 20, 2003

Reflections on the Seat of the Soul

Gary Zukav's 1989 book, Seat of the Soul, makes a valuable contribution to our ability to understand "soul," which is the central life force within us. I read the book some time ago, but it continues to shape my ability to think about the illusive soul. My journey to live a more conscious life has taken me down the path of understanding my soul.

Zukav reminds us of the difficulty encountered by all that attempt to understand and explain the soul. "Who among us is an expert on the human experience? We have only the gift of sharing perceptions that hopefully can help those on their journey. There is no such thing as an expert on the human experience." While I would agree with Zukav's basic point, I believe that some among us have achieved a greater understanding of spiritual matters than others. For this reason, we have guides to help us find our way, if we choose to seek them out. I am thankful for the many guides and teachers that I have encountered throughout my life.

Zukav says "if you desire to know your soul, the first step is to recognize that you have a soul." Raised in the fundamentalist Christian tradition as a child, the soul referred to the eternal part of me that either went to heaven or hell after my physical body died. While my spiritual beliefs have changed dramatically since my younger years, my early training gave me a desire to know my soul. For that, I am thankful.

The soul, according to Zukav and many other writers on the subject, exists outside of time. Moreover, the soul evolves across several lifetimes. This evolution is shaped by our karma, which is not a moral dynamic as many people have chosen to see it, rather it is a law of the universe that seeks to balance energy in our life. Karma serves us as an impersonal and universal teacher of responsibility.

Seat of Soul is full of valuable insights that have strengthened not only my intellectual understanding of these spiritual matters, but also my ability to live a more conscious life.

You can purchase Seat of the Soul at Amazon.com. You might also find Gary Zukav's website to be of interest.

No comments:

Friends' Blogs